US Soccer and STSR has made numerous changes to Referee Certification, Recertification and Upgrade requirements for Badge year 2017 and beyond. In addition FIFA has made numerous law changes effective June 1st, 2016, which will be incorporated into all 2017 and later Training material.
For the 2018 badge year, Badges and velcros will be mailed out to the official directly by STSR for Recertification or Upgrade Registrations in December. Badges and velcros will continue to be handed out to all New Referees who pass a Entry Referee clinic.
Summary of Referee Registration Requirement Changes:
- No changes for Grade 9 or 8 Registration requirements
- Referees upgrading to Grade 7 must be at least 18 years old (was 17)
- State or National Referees going Emeritus must be age 45 or older and have been a State or National Referee for at least 3 years
- Grade 7+ Fitness test requirements reduced from 10 to 7 interval laps
- For Grade 7+ and higher grades, a passing Fitness test is good for 1 year for game assignments and Assessment requests
- For Grade 7+ and higher grades, a passing Fitness test is required in the Registration period for that Badge year (July 1st - June 30th)
- Beginning with the 2018 Registration period, Referees upgrading to Grade 6 must have been a Grade 7+ for at least one badge year. In addition Game Count requirements have been changed for Grade 6 Upgrades effective immediately. Click Here for Referee Requirements by Grade. Also see Training: Assessments and Fitness Testing.
- For the 2017 badge year only , Grade 6 referees with an outstanding game and assessment portfolio will be considered by the National Referee Selection committee in September of 2016.
- Grade 5 registrations and training have been returned to the State Associations (STSR) and Referees that have been Grade 5 for at least 12 months with an outsanding assessment and game portfolio will be considered by the National Referee selection committee in September of each year. Click Here for Referee Requirements by Grade. Also see Training: Assessments and Fitness Testing. Assessments required for Grade 5 Upgrade and Recertification must occur during the registration period of July 1st- June 28th.